APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2024/2025 PROGRAM
WILL OPEN IN THE FALL OF 2023
The Medical Dermatology Society (MDS) invites Residents, Post-Dermatology Residency Fellows and Junior Faculty to apply for the 2024/2025 MDS Mentorship Program. Dermatology Residents, Post-Dermatology Residency Fellows and Junior Faculty with an interest in academic and/or medical dermatology careers may receive up to $3,000 for direct expenses associated with spending a period of up to four (4) weeks with a senior MDS member.
MDS MENTORSHIP MISSION AND GOALS
- To develop future leaders in Medical Dermatology
- To produce research and contributions to the literature and the field of dermatology and medicine
- To promote mentorship relationships within the Medical Dermatology Society and between institutions
- To establish long-term relationships between Mentors and Mentees.
- Mentor and Mentee both will need to be current members of the MDS
- Mentor must be a faculty member
- Mentor and Mentee cannot be from the same institution
- A Mentor may host more than one awardee in the same year
- A letter of recommendation from the potential Mentor will be required
- A description of the project and activities the applicant will undertake, including any research, clinical experience or learning that is planned is an important part of the application
- A research component to the mentorship program is encouraged, but not required.
- Mentorship must take place between April 1, 2023, and June 30, 2024
- The two (2) of the four (4) weeks of mentorship must be consecutive and on site with the mentor
- Two (2) of the four (4) weeks may take place as remote mentorship
- A letter from the Mentee’s Chair or Program Director will need to be submitted to the MDS for approval if you are unable to complete the rotation schedule.
- Anticipated expenses will need to be submitted include transportation, lodging, meals, and supplies needed for the Mentorship rotation
- Unfortunately, at this time, salaries, malpractice insurance, indirect or overhead costs, are not covered expenses
- The MDS Mentorship Committee will review the final budget proposal.
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
- Applications, including letters of support, Bio-Sketch and personal statement must be submitted through the MDS Mentorship Application Link
- Applications forwarded to the MDS office directly will not be considered
- Deadline to apply for consideration is TO BE DETERMINED
- Incomplete or late applications unfortunately will not be evaluated
- Please limit all statements of proposed goals to one (1) page – 11pt font preferred.
- Awards will be prioritized for those with no other sources of funding for mentorship activities and consideration will be given to whether the applicant has access to similar experiences at his or her home institution
- The MDS encourages and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusivity, and during application review, consideration towards ensuring the grant recipients reflect the diversity of our field and patient population will be prioritized.
UPON COMPLETION OF THE MENTORSHIP EXPERIENCE
- Receipts from the mentee for travel and lodging will need to be submitted no later than one (1) month after completion of your mentorship
- If preferable to awarded mentees will be allowed to request funds in advance of their mentorship, but they must then provide receipts after completing the mentorship program
- Awardees will be asked to submit a one (1) page report no later than one (1) month after they complete their mentorship experience to the MDS office that should include a detailed description of the mentorship experience
- Awardees will be asked to present a five (5) minute summary to the members of the MDS at the Annual Meeting to be coordinated with the MDS Administrative office.
- The mentee report should highlight the overall experience and how it has enhanced your career development
- Your summary report can be submitted as a formal research abstract describing relevant research performed through your MDS grant experience
- Summary reports will be posted on the MDS website once received
- Mentorship teams are highly encouraged to attend the MDS Annual Meeting.
Thank you for your interest in this mentorship program. We look forward to reading your submission and to partnering with you in your career development and success.
APPLICATION DEADLINE ~ ~ To Be Determined
APPLICATION SUBMISSION LINK ~~ Coming in the Fall 2023
DOWNLOAD A PRINTABLE VERSION ~~ Coming in the Fall 2023