CARLA SPARKLER, with support from the Medical Dermatology Society, is pleased to announce a Research Scholarship, a new funding initiative as part of our Research Awards Program, the first program of its kind dedicated exclusively to funding dermatology research in complex medical dermatology.
The Carla Sparker Research Scholarship will support young investigators traveling to the MDS Annual Meeting to present their scientific work. This award specifically is focused on expanding diversity in dermatology and supporting underserved/underrepresented patients, students, physicians, and disease states. This scholarship supports small research grants for emerging investigators intended to explore new research concepts, pilot a new experiment, or undertake a novel or secondary data analysis.
This is a great opportunity for a resident or medical student selected for an oral presentation at the MDS Annual Meeting. The selected abstracts for oral presentations will be ranked by the MDS Education and Program Committee Members to determine the awardee. The awardee must be the presenting resident or medical student, identified as an author on the abstract.
APPLICATIONS WILL OPEN IN THE FALL OF 2023
CARLA SPARKLER RESEARCH SCHOLARSHIP REQUIREMENTS
- Applicant must be the presenting author on an abstract submitted to the MDS Annual Meeting
- Applicant must be a first or leading author on the abstract which will reflect their scientific contributions
- Authors must clearly define at the time of submission, who in the author group should be considered for the award
- This award is for residents and/or medical students only; Faculty members are not eligible to receive this award
- The awardee must be able to attend and present the abstract at the MDS Annual Meeting on Thursday, March 6, 2024 in San Diego.
- If the selected resident or medical student cannot commit to present the abstract at the MDS Annual Meeting, the award will go to the next highest-ranked abstract
- The author must designate if they want the award split with other resident or medical student authors at the time of submission
- Abstract submission deadline: To be announced
- The scholarship awardee will be announced after the MDS oral abstract presentations on Thursday, March 7, 2024 in San Diego.
CARLA SPARKLER SCHOLARSHIP
2024 Young Investigator Award (YIA)
The recipient will be awarded up to a $2,000 travel grant for the upcoming
MDS Annual Meeting
San Diego, California
Thursday, March 7, 2024
Carla Sparkler is a medical professional dedicated to the advancement of science and helping youth attain their dreams and further their medical professions. She believes in mentoring young people and helping them grow and become leaders and managers.
Carla leads by example and loves helping people who work for her become better people by providing active help and support. Carla is one of the hardest workers you will ever meet and will challenge you to think critically, provide solid arguments, and support a common goal of constant growth. We invite you to meet Carla Sparkler at the 2024 MDS Annual Meeting in San Diego on Thursday, March 7, 2024.