THE DEADLINE HAS EXPIRED TO APPLY FOR THE 2020-2021 MDS MENTORSHIP PROGRAM!
The Board of Directors of the MDS instituted an MDS Mentorship Program to foster interest in careers in medical dermatology, especially in the care of patients with serious dermatologic disease. Participants spend one month at an institution under the direction of a senior MDS member.
The Medical Dermatology Society (MDS) invites Residents, Post-Dermatology Residency Fellows, and Junior Faculty to apply for the 2020/2021 MDS Mentorship Program. Dermatology Residents, Post-Dermatology Residency Fellows and Junior Faculty with an interest in promoting academic and/or medical dermatology careers may receive up to $2,000 for direct expenses associated with spending a period of one (1) month being mentored by a senior MDS member. Please review the following important guidelines that must be followed.
MDS MENTORSHIP MISSION AND GOALS
- To develop leadership skills in Dermatology Residents, Post-Dermatology Residency Fellows and Junior Faculty
- To enhance contributions to dermatology and medicine
- Candidates should have an interest in promoting academic and/or medical dermatology careers
- To promote mentorship relationship within the Medical Dermatology Society
- To establish long-term relationships between mentors and their mentee
MENTORSHIP PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
- Mentor and Mentee both must be current members of the MDS. Not a member? Join today
- Reach out to your preferred MDS Mentor and discuss your goals for the mentorship
- Mentor must be an attending faculty
- Mentor and Mentee must not be from the same institution
- A Mentor may host more than one awardee in the same year
- MDS mentorship awardees from prior year’s, are not eligible to apply unless the specific project focus is different from a previously awarded mentorship
- Funding will only be granted to mentorship projects with no additional funding, contingent upon awards from other Organizations
- Letter of Recommendation from potential Mentor is requested from the applicant
- A description of projects or experiences the applicant will undertake should be summarized
- Mentorship must take place between April 1, 2020, and June 30, 2021
- The four (4) weeks of mentorship does not have to be consecutive but must include a minimum of two (2) consecutive weeks on site with the mentor
- A letter from the Mentee’s Chair must be submitted to the MDS for approval if you are unable to complete the four (4) consecutive week schedule
- Approval must be obtained from the MDS Mentorship Committee in advance of any rotation changes
- Anticipated expenses must be submitted and include only reasonable direct incidentals such as transportation, lodging, food and supplies for the Mentorship rotation
- Salaries, malpractice insurance, indirect or overhead costs, are not be covered expenses
- The MDS Mentorship Committee reserves the right to revise the final budget proposal
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
- Applications, including letters of support, bio-sketch and personal statement MUST be submitted through the MDS Mentorship Application Link – CLOSED
- Deadline to submit an application for consideration is Monday, December 16, 2019
- One (1) Page Limit for all Statements of Proposed Goals – 11pt font
- Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted or considered
- Applications forwarded to the MDS office directly will not be considered
- Candidates awarded to the 2020-2021 Mentorship program will be notified and invited in January to atend the MDS Annual Meeting
- Awardees will be announced at the MDS Annual Meeting on Thursday, March 19th
UPON COMPLETION OF THE MENTORSHIP EXPERIENCE
- Receipts for travel and lodging must be submitted no later than one (1) month after completion of your mentorship
- Awardees must submit to the MDS office a one (1) page report no later than one (1) month after they complete their mentorship experience
- The summary report should provide a detailed description of the mentorship experience
- Reports should highlight your experience and how it has enhanced your career development
- Your summary report can be submitted as a formal research abstract describing relevant research performed through your MDS grant experience
- Summary reports may be chosen for verbal or poster presentation at the MDS Annual Meeting
- Summary reports will be posted on the MDS website once received
MEMBERSHIP SUPPORT FOR THE MDS MENTORSHIP PROGRAM
In order for the MDS to continue to provide a very successful Mentorship Awards Program, which is a staple of the Society over the years, and the challenges the MDS faces with the lack of pharm support for the mentorship program; your donation will help support the Mentorship Program. Any and all donations are welcome and greatly appreciated by the MDS.
Support the MDS Mentorship Program Campaign, by visiting MDS Mentorship Donation Link
INTERESTED IN BECOMING A MENTOR?
Are you a current MDS Member and interested in being a mentor?
Still have questions regarding the MDS Mentorship program? Please contact the MDS Office by email or by phone at 216-579-9300.
- MDS MENTORSHIP PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS AND GUIDELINES
- MDS MENTOR LISTING
- MDS MENTORSHIP APPLICATION – Closed
- MDS MEMBER INTEREST FORM TO BE A POTENTIAL MENTOR
- SUPPORT THE MDS MENTORSHIP PROGRAM
- HISTORICAL MDS MENTORSHIP PROGRAM AWARDEES AND EXPERIENCE REPORTS