The Board of Directors of the Medical Dermatology Society instituted a Mentorship Program to foster interest in careers in medical dermatology, especially in the care of patients with serious dermatologic diseases. Participants spend one month at an institution under the direction of a senior MDS member.
The Medical Dermatology Society (MDS) invites Residents, Post-Dermatology Residency Fellows, and Junior Faculty to apply for the 2024/2025 MDS Mentorship Program. Dermatology Residents, Post-Dermatology Residency Fellows, and Junior Faculty with an interest in promoting academic and/or medical dermatology careers may receive up to $3,000 for direct expenses associated with spending a period of two to four weeks with a senior MDS member mentor. Please review the following important guidelines that must be followed.
MDS MENTORSHIP MISSION AND GOALS
- To develop future leaders in Medical Dermatology
- To produce research and contributions to the literature and the field of dermatology and medicine
- To promote mentorship relationships within the Medical Dermatology Society and between institutions
- To establish long-term relationships between Mentors and Mentees
MENTORSHIP PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
- Mentor and Mentee both must be current members of the MDS
- The mentor must be a faculty member
- Mentor and Mentee must not be from the same institution
- A Mentor may host more than one awardee in the same year
- A letter of recommendation from the Mentor is required
- A description of the project and activities the applicant will undertake, including any research, clinical experience, or learning that is planned is an important part of the application
- A research component to the mentorship program is encouraged, but not required.
- Mentorship must take place between April 1, 2024, and June 30, 2025
- The four (4) weeks of mentorship do not have to be consecutive but must include a minimum of two (2) consecutive weeks on site with the mentor (the additional two (2) weeks may take place as remote mentorship)
- A letter from the Mentee’s Chair or Program Director must be submitted to the MDS for approval if you are unable to complete the four (4) week rotation schedule
- Anticipated expenses that should be submitted include: transportation, lodging, meals, and supplies needed for the Mentorship rotation
- Unfortunately, salaries, malpractice insurance, and indirect or overhead costs cannot be covered expenses at this time
- The MDS Mentorship Committee will revise the final budget proposal
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
- Applications, including letters of support, bio-sketch and personal statement must be submitted through the MDS Mentorship Application Link (Opening Fall 2023)
- Applications forwarded to the MDS office directly will not be considered
- Deadline to apply for consideration is To be Determined. Incomplete or late applications will not be evaluated
- Please limit all Statements of Proposed Goals to one (1) page – 11pt font preferred
- Awards will be prioritized for those with no other sources of funding for mentorship activities and consideration will be given to whether the applicant has access to similar experiences at his or her home institution
- The MDS encourages and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusivity, and during application review, consideration towards ensuring the grant recipients reflect the diversity of our field and patient population will be prioritized
UPON COMPLETION OF THE MENTORSHIP EXPERIENCE
- Receipts for travel and lodging must be submitted no later than one (1) month after completion of the mentorship period. Mentees may request funds in advance of their mentorship, although they must provide receipts for the mentorship program
- Awardees must submit a one (1) page report no later than one (1) month after they complete their mentorship experience to the MDS office that should include a detailed description of the mentorship experience. Awardees: The report should highlight your experience and how it has enhanced your career development
- Awardees will be asked to present a five (5) minute summary to the members of the MDS at the Annual Meeting to be coordinated with the MDS Administrative office.
- The summary report can be submitted as a formal research abstract describing relevant research performed
- Mentorship teams are highly encouraged to attend the MDS Annual Meeting
- Summary reports will be posted on the MDS website once received
Thank you for your interest in this mentorship program. We look forward to reading your submission and to partnering with you in your career development and success.
MEMBERSHIP SUPPORT FOR THE MDS MENTORSHIP PROGRAM
In order for the MDS to continue to provide a very successful Mentorship Awards Program, which is a staple of the Society over the years, and the challenges the MDS faces with the lack of pharma support for the mentorship program; your donation will help support the Mentorship Program. Any and all donations are welcome and greatly appreciated by the MDS.
Support the MDS Mentorship Program Campaign, by visiting MDS Mentorship Donation Link
INTERESTED IN BECOMING A MENTOR?
Are you a current MDS Member and interested in being a mentor?
Return this completed MDS MENTOR APPLICATION FORM to the MDS office
If you still have any questions regarding the MDS Mentorship program? Please contact the MDS Office by email or by phone at 216-579-9300.
IMPORTANT PROGRAM LINKS
MDS MENTORSHIP PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS AND GUIDELINES
MDS MENTORSHIP APPLICATION SUBMISSION LINK (Opening in the Fall 2023)
MDS MEMBER INTEREST FORM TO BE A POTENTIAL MENTOR
SUPPORT THE MDS MENTORSHIP PROGRAM
HISTORICAL MDS MENTORSHIP PROGRAM AWARDEES AND EXPERIENCE REPORTS